Ok, so the poll widget on the right doesn't seem to be working :(
I googled it and found that some people were complaining about it being broken just last week, so maybe is not me messing up... In any case, here's another try:
See Results: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-WF7RR6P/
OK, I have a question about what counts as fruits. I didn't think it was worth a separate post, and this seemed like a good spot to put it.
ReplyDeleteWhen making smoothies, does that count as fruit servings? Not the sugary kind you get out, but homemade ones. I just had a smoothie made with 1 1/2 frozen bananas, about 1 cup of blueberries, and some skim milk. I would think that would count as two or three servings. Thoughts?
When Babette first asked about juice this is the rule I cam up with: 1 cup of 100% fruit /vegetable juice (100%) can count as ONE daily serving of fruit OR vegetable.
ReplyDeleteJuices and smoothies provide vitamins but not the fiber of the originals, so I think they should only count for ONE serving per day. I guess people can debate that as well :)
I tend to think of smoothies differently than juice, as you are still getting the fiber from the fruit. You are not expressing anything from the fruit and throwing it out, but consuming all of it. I am fine to count it as only one serving, as I eat fruit every morning for breakfast and for my afternoon snack, but I thought homemade smoothies might be helpful for some of our members who were having trouble getting in the fruit servings each day.
ReplyDeleteI think smoothies where you use the whole fruit should be counted exactly the same as the whole fruit. Who cares that you are pre-mashing it? I think Maria was thinking of the juice in the smoothie.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Annie and Babette. As long as you are using the whole fruit and not throwing any out, it counts as the whole fruits you used
ReplyDelete