Came across this article in the NY Times today. I can't imagine using this diet, can you? But it is an interesting idea. I do something in the same vein to simplify healthy food preparation for the work day -- I tend to eat the same foods each day, and I've selected the foods to ensure intake of certain nutrients, e.g. almonds for vitamin E, bran buds for fiber, Greek yogurt and cheese for calcium and protein, a mixed vegetable lunch for those nutrients, etc. Then I eat very differently on the weekends, and I also give myself a break on many Fridays. A good thing about eating the same menu each day is that you can play with the portions (calorie content) and optimize to maintain or lose weight. This is much harder to do with a varied diet. We'll see if this plan works out for me over the next 6 and a half weeks (minus 9 China days)...
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/technology/personaltech/the-soylent-revolution-will-not-be-pleasurable.html?ref=business&_r=0
Interesting article! I've used products similar to Soylent, although they've actually tasted good (almost like a milkshake). This just sounds joyless and the potential digestive issues-no thank you!! I'm like you though in that I tend to eat the same foods for breakfast each day (my yogurt and fruit may differ). My other meals are usually different but always with nutrition and carbs in mind. I'm really, really lucky to have a retired mother living with me who primarily cooks the evening meals. She is a diabetic and my nutritional changes have improved her health too. It's been a win-win!!
ReplyDeleteInteresting. I drink Rockin' Wellness when I need a quick meal to take on the run...it is tasty!
ReplyDeleteOh, and I am fine with mono meals or repeating leftovers for several days in a row.
ReplyDeleteI think having default meals, particularly breakfasts and lunches, does simplify life a lot. But they can be real food, or at the very least something tasty! Why would anyone want to eat something they don't like every day it's totally beyond me!
ReplyDeleteFood brings me so much joy in life. From vegetable gardening to spending several hours in the kitchen each night and chatting over a meal with my family, I love almost every aspect of it. The idea of drinking a supplement instead is certainly not for me. This would definitely be considered a joyless product to me.
ReplyDeleteI've heard (and regularly repeat) the statement that "Some people eat to leave; others live to eat"
ReplyDeleteI definitely love eating. I like planning it, cooking it (mostly) and tasting it. I look forward to food and usually want my social life to revolve around food, such as cooking with friends. So for me, wasting any calories on something that does not taste good is not a winning choice.