Sunday, May 25, 2014

An Introduction to Lily

Hello, I'm Lily, Laura's daughter. I am almost certain that I'm the youngest person here, as I'm not even technically an adult (I turned 17 in April). I lived in Kansas until I was 11, and then 6 years ago we moved here.
I'm about to finish my junior year of high school, which means I've been looking at colleges. So far, my 3 main choices are Mount Holyoke (a couple hours outside of Boston), Pratt Institute (NYC), and U of Chicago (Chicago, obviously). I want to either be an actor or a novelist, which aren't super employable jobs, but its what I love so it's what I'm going to pursue.
For a big chunk of this Healthy Habits journey (half of it, I think) I'll be in California at a camp at Cal. college of the arts, where I'll be partaking in a month-long creative writing intensive, which I'm SUPER excited for. However, I'll be on my own for meals for a month for the first time in my life, so it'll be a real test of my resolve.
Is this too long? It might be. Sorry if it is. I'll cut it off now.
-Lily

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Lily!! So excited for your summer in California writing! I would have loved a summer like that (my degree is in Journalism with an emphasis on magazines and publishing). I admire your willingness to learn a healthy lifestyle now instead of waiting until age and health issues force you to become a student! To be healthy means loving your body too! Getting it strong and keeping it that way will help you reach all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lily,
    Nice to meet you :) Glad you decided to join us - being on your own and cooking for yourself for the first time is exciting, and hopefully this challenge will help you focus on healthy choices rather than a lot of convenience foods!
    My sister Cami (who's also in here) went to Mt Holyoke a million years ago...
    Welcome to the group!
    Maria
    PS - not too long, especially for an aspiring novelist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lily, I am excited for you with your trip to CA to pursue your dreams! I
    CA is my favorite state, still, even though I have come to love FL too. If your post was too long, mine is a novel, and I'm sure I put TMI too. But I'm procrastinating from catching up on the mountain of work I need to chip away at today and tomorrow. The joys of coming back from vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Lily. Your creative writing workshop in California sounds fantastic!
    As far as cooking for yourself for the first time, Mark Bittman has a great cookbook called "How to Cook Everything". It's rather a large book, but perhaps there is an e-book version. Have a wonderful time in California. Such an exciting thing to do at your age! My 17-year-old-self would have been quite envious. Heck, my 42-year-old-self is envious! Maybe post some pictures to the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Lily-sounds like a fabulous summer! Be sure and post pics to the blog when you go!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lily. I graduated from Mt. Holyoke in 1992! So basically I just admitted to being ancient! So excited for you on your trip to California. And envious! Hope you have a wonderful time and we are here to help you if you need ideas of simple, healthy recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your intro may be the shortest of them all, Lily! Maybe you should post a piece of your writing. You know, to catch up. ;)
    Just kidding, but I would definitely love to read something you've written! And yes, pics from your trip are a must!
    Glad you're here! :) :)

    ReplyDelete