Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tuesday motivation 5/27/2014

Happy Tuesday! Got to love a short work week!

I get asked a lot about where I workout. Home is my gym, primarily because of an insanely busy work schedule and somewhat because gyms/health clubs became a source of discouragement for me. I know, being around other healthy, motivated people should inspire but for me, it in the beginning, it just reminded me how overweight and out-of-shape I was. The beginning is the critical time when starting a new lifestyle-nothing should sway you! Wherever or however you choose to get your exercise, just do it! We won't look pretty at the end but we'll feel amazing! Make it great!


 

4 comments:

  1. Love the picture Robyn!! I want to know more about your workout routine. Losing 80 pounds in less than a year is a remarkable feat, but I know you didn't start running 5Ks until you had lost a substantial amount of weight. As important as exercise is, if you try to do too much too soon you can injure yourself and set yourself back even further. Can you tell us more of how you paced yourself and your progression as you get fitter, leaner and stronger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to change it up and not do the same thing. I'm really tech stupid and found "You Tube" much later than most people, but there are GREAT free workout programs I use. A fantastic couple, Kelly and Daniel with Fitness Blender, and Autumn Calabrese, with Autumn Fitness. Autumn is also the creator of the 21-Day Fitness program through Beachbody.

    I started walking on a treadmill after I lost 35-40lbs in October 2013. I felt ready at that point and my doctor was comfortable with me starting a moderate exercise program. I could barely walk at a speed of 2 miles for 20 minutes for those first couple of weeks. Using words I rarely do, I got on that treadmill every day! After 2 weeks, I realized 2 miles for 20 was easy, so I pushed for an extra 5 minutes, than another 5 minutes and so on. By Thanksgiving I was running for 15 min, walking for 15. By Christmas I was running for 30 minutes. I just kept at it! That was 5-6 days per week! Oh, I adjust the speed (up to 5.1) and incline as I need too!

    I also started using weights 3 times weekly, starting with 3lb weights and working my way up. I use an app called "Daily Workouts" on my ipad. I'm now working with 10lb weights and looking at increasing to 15lbs.

    I've run three 5ks so far with another planned for July 4th. I've decreased my runs to 2-3 times weekly and focus more on strength training with kettlebells (wow, talk about cardio workout) and began a great ballet conditioning workout a few weeks ago! I use DVDs for that! I was properly "fitted" with my kettlebells and received coaching before I started my work at home with my friend and trainer, Nate.

    Starting slowly was the only way I knew to go and stay committed. My main concern is always hurting myself, so if I feel pain, I stop. I don't subscribe to the philosophy of pushing through the pain (except for my runs, that's just a mental thing more than physical). I also "protein up" before and after work outs and drink 6oz of water with BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) to help with muscle recovery after using the weights.

    I aim for no more than an hour per day to work out. That's a LOT of time! But I focus more now on exercise that will work the whole body at once, not just pieces at a time. For example, I go into a sumo squat position, then take my 10lb weight and complete a set of 15 bicep curls. This way I'm engaging my core, working my thighs, glutes and arms. I'm also burning a ton of calories!

    Sorry to make this so long, but I hope you find it helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Robyn! I'm at a point where I feel I need to push myself further in terms of exercise but find it hard to know where to start. I've tried running a bit, and I feel the difference, but it really hurts my knees. I do the weight machines at the gym, which were great for getting started, but now I feel I should transition to free weights and I'm scared. I'm really considering getting the 21 day fix videos, maybe I'll try the you tube free versions first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't fear the weights, embrace them! I was really intimated with the kettlebells before I started which is one reason why I named mine "Laverne" (35lb) and "Shirley" (20lb). I needed to do something that removed the fear. While unconventional, I admit, naming my "belles" has helped and makes me feel like I work out with buddies! My "girls" are helping get me stronger each day!

    ReplyDelete