Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Introducing Susan


Hi everyone.  I’m Susan Falsetti.  I’ve been in Gainesville for almost 18 years (except for the one year we lived in Sarajevo, Bosnia). I’ve lived in Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC, Boston MA, Long Island, Pennsylvania and New Mexico as well!

My ex and I moved here when he took a job at UF.  I have two sons: a 19 year old and almost 16 year old.  I’m 53 and struggling to rejuvenate my social life. Coming off of a rough year and a half with work and divorce. I work for a software company as a quasi-technical/consultant/sales person. 

I would say that for much of my adult life I wished I was about 10 pounds lighter. For about 5-7 years solid I achieved the weight where I really felt comfortable.  In my 40s I bought my first bikini since I was probably 15 years old!  I had a six-pack, regularly did weights and was running 25-40 miles a week with friends. It’s been about 3 or 4 years since I ran a half marathon.

In the last 3 years my running distance/speed/frequency has dramatically decreased. As I heard someone say the other day, my eating is outdoing my exercise. I eat when I’m down or bored. I love good chocolate and my mom calls me a cream-aholic (give me fresh whipped cream any day)! I’m still pretty good at turning down store bought cookies and cakes, but I also tend to bake when I’m lonely or aimless and of course I only bake things I like to eat!

I don’t expect to get back to my lowest weight but would really like to take 10 more pounds off. Like Babette, I’m only 5’2” so even 3-4 pounds is a new size in clothes for me. This time round I’ve tremendously reduced my refined sugar intake and am generally avoiding bread, pasta, rice.  I’m not worrying about the carbs/sugars in fruits or vegetables and am still eating fresh potatoes and corn.

I’d be up for some company and motivation to do some 2-3 mile runs (if you can bear an 11 minute pace).

Thanks to all of you for the warmth, intelligence and encouragement that comes through in your notes.

Susan

7 comments:

  1. Hi Susan -- I'd be up for some 3 mile runs after I return from China. Glad to have some empathy from one who understands that 3-4 lbs mean having to go out and buy a new pair of jeans. If only all 3-4 of those lbs were not in my waist and butt! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan!! I'm 5'3" and was 80lbs overweight, so I can really understand wanting those 10lbs off!! I'm still working to get to an 11 minute pace (SO close) but would love to go running with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also would like to run...I am totally down with the 11 minute pace, too. I have not been running (just walking) but I think I could get back to a couple miles with some effort.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan!
    I'm not really ready for running, I'm afraid I would give myself 2 black eyes, but I'm a GREAT spectator! ;)

    Glad you're here!
    S. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, how about a weekday evening?....take a few laps around your neighborhood then come over here and jump in the pool!? What time do you get home from work??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to meet you, Susan! I would be up for a three mile run too. I am trying to transition from running on a treadmill to outside. It's been a struggle for me. I can run five miles on the treadmill, but seem to poop out after 2 miles outside. Having someone to push me would be good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why am I so far away?! Anyone want to come and work out in Orlando? Athough if we are talking about running, I would hang out with Shanna and give you all some encouragement!

    ReplyDelete